Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What I wish I knew about being an author years ago...

As I type this I wish I could write what was in my head in mere days and have perfectly complete books at my disposal. FAT CHANCE.
There's a lot that I wish I could do as an author. And I am a self published author so the list grows even longer.
There are so many things I wish I knew back then that I know now. Like, the importance of really thinking about plots and plot holes. Because as I rewrite a series I see that there was a lot that I didn't cover. Silly me.
I also wish I knew about all the bloggers and wonderful people willing to lend a hand. They are wonderful and do so much for books. 
I wish I knew about organization. Years ago I just sifted through the muck, only recently did I organize all my writing tools and websites so they are way easier to get to when I need them. And when you are doing anything that has to do with your books you need them to be very accessible believe me.
I wish I knew the power of brainstorming with friends or my husband. When you simply talk about your story with someone else they unknowingly fill your mind with new ideas.
I wish there was spotify back then, because it's my go to when I write. I love listening to music when I write and with Spotify I can make playlist.
I wish I knew that hard work pays off. I'm sure I knew that but it really does. You can sit and wish all day you had success in anything but if you don't bust your ass to get there it will never happen. Even when you think it's not working for you as an author just keep pushing ahead, keep trying. One day you will feel so accomplished no matter big or small.

2 comments:

  1. There are a lot of things I wish I knew about when I first started writing too. I learned a lot of things the hard way, as I went and I'm still learning. However, now, like you I have met many wonderful writers, bloggers and communities that are very informative and helpful. I'm thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more Vashti. Bloggers have been so wonderful. I find that other writers are always willing to share all that they know. It's a great way to better yourself.

      Delete