Monday, May 20, 2013

Meet the author Monday: Lindy Spencer

Monday has now been changed and dedicated to authors. I being one myself know how great fellow authors are, and it's always nice to share the love. So, I would like to welcome the author, Lindy Spencer to my blog.

Meet the author




Hello, Lindy Spencer here - newly published indie writer with a hyper-busy life!  Between working full-time and taking care of a husband and the dog, I juggle spending time with the kids, grandkids, photography, and writing another book.  Love to spend time in the kitchen - cooking as well as baking - and can't wait until the grands are big enough to assist me.  That will be so much fun!

For years my main focus was family.  When the kids grew up and moved out of the house, it became much quieter around here.  I found there was more time than I knew what to do with, and an idle mind is the perfect playground for a budding writer.  My first novel, The Boomerang Effect, built an entire town as well as the characters in it - some of which left their lives a bit earlier than they'd planned, but hey, that's how a good murder mystery goes, never know who will be standing when the last page flips!
I love to toss photography into the mix every chance I get.  Shooting people in my writing as well as with a Canon gives me plenty of satisfaction.  Photography has been a hobby of mine as long as I can remember.  I carry a camera with me wherever I go; never know when I'm going to run across an old farmhouse that would make a great location for a tense scene, or an old bridge that cries out for a noose on a long rope to be swinging from it.  Murder on the mind all the time, great props are easier to remember if you shoot a picture of them!

Speaking of photography, I've recently concluded another exciting event in my life.  My very first photography exhibit, titled "Oklahoma's Rusted Route 66", was recently on display at the Historic Route 66 Museum in Clinton, Oklahoma.  I have enjoyed riding my motorcycle up and down the historic route for a long time, finding different scenes to memorialize in pictures each time I do, and am honored to have been chosen to be the first photographer to have their work showcased in the newly remodeled museum. 

Currently I am working on my second and third novels, with a couple more ideas circling the brain - I don't know whether its an addiction or if I've finally gone around the bend (my husband believes its the latter) but writing gives me an outlet that is totally mine.  Well, mine until it hits the shelves, then its anybody's story!!
 

1. Tell me a bit about yourself.  About me... the hardest of topics to write about!  I work a full-time job, have a small photography business on the side, take care of my husband and the dog, and I juggle spending time with the kids, grandkids, photography, and writing another book.  Love to spend time in the kitchen - cooking as well as baking - and can't wait until the grands are big enough to assist me.  That will be so much fun!

2. When did you first consider yourself a writer?  When I clicked the button to publish.  I didn't really believe it until then... and it was still kind of a dream until the first sale happened.  I guess that would be when I realized I really was a writer.

3. What inspired you to write your first book?  I read a quote by a favorite author that went something like this: 'If you think of a story you'd like to read and it hasn't been written yet, you are charged with writing it.'  I took that as a challenge and stepped up to the plate when I had my idea for The Boomerang Effect.  I can't say I'm unhappy about it, either!

4. What books have influenced your life most?  Oh, goodness.  That's a good question.  I'm mostly a fiction reader unless its for research, so I don't think there's been a book that influenced my life... entertained, yes.  Influenced, I can't think of one.

5. If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?  The first writer that comes to mind is J.D. Robb, Nora Roberts' alter ego.  Her writing style flows well and has given me stylistic pointers when I get stuck.  I am a fan of her writing.

6. What book are you reading now?  In Too Deep by Brandy L. Rivers.  I'm really enjoying it and recommend it to anyone who enjoys non-typical vampire/ werewolf stories.

7. What do you like to do when you’re not writing?  Photography is another love of mine.  When I'm not writing, I prefer to have a camera in my hand.  It's turned into a side business as well. 

8. Where do you get your ideas for your books?  Everywhere.  I'm constantly twisting things I see in my everyday life into murder and mayhem. 

9. What new author has grasped your interest?  Brandy L. Rivers makes the top of the list here, as well!  I recently discovered her and have quickly turned into a fan!  Check out her writing style, she makes the story flow and its so easy to read!

10. If you couldn’t be an author, what would your ideal career be?  Great question!  I've always wanted to work with dolphins... that won't happen, of course, as I live in Oklahoma and we're a bit too landlocked for that career choice, but in a perfect world that's where you would find me.

11. What was your favorite chapter to write and why?  The epilogue, absolutely.  I loved bringing the reader to where I was - leaving some questions unanswered and introducing a new situation... right before closing it down.  I can't stop thinking about what happened, and what's going to happen, and I like to think the readers are right there with me!
12. Why do you feel you had to tell this story?  I wanted to read it.  Reading a story you feel compelled to read is much more difficult if it hasn't been written yet.

13. Can you tell us about your upcoming book?  The book I'm currently working on is the sequel to The Boomerang Effect.  I've been bombarded with requests to write it, and if we've learned anything about Lindy, it's that she accepts the challenge!!  I'm currently working on it whenever I have free time, which isn't as often as I would like, but I do expect my fans will be as happy with the story as I am, as it is unfolding itself to me.

14. How do you market your book(s)?  Every way I can think of... I currently have a small shelf in a corner drug store, I have a Facebook page for my fans to visit, and I talk it up to strangers in the checkout line at the store.  I've even waited in a restaurant until a customer I'd never met, who was reading, looked up from her book and I took that opportunity to approach her and ask if she read murder mysteries.  She did, so I gave her a bookmark advertising mine.  Marketing is all about networking and getting your name out there.

15. Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?  The best piece of advice I was given as an aspiring author was DON'T QUIT.  When you think you have reached a block that you can't overcome, push through or set that portion aside for awhile and work on something else.  Your brain will sort it out.  Whatever you do, don't quit!!








No comments:

Post a Comment